SAMe (S-Adenosyl-Methionine) 400 mg (60 enteric coated tablets/blister pack)
Important for SAMe: Each tablet is packaged separate in blister pack and enteric coated for protection from moisture/light to ensure a biologically active product (SAMe is unstable and needs extra protection).
60 Tablets, 400mg SAMe (S-Adenosyl-Methionine) in each tablet!
Blog: Human Study Confirms Potent Antidepressant Effects of SAM-e + many other health benefits as protecting liver, joints and brain (also against Alzheimer/Parkinson).
SAMe is a naturally occurring molecule found in all living cells, and is also produced in our body, but many are depleted. SAMe gives away a methyl group when converted to SAH in your cells, and is therefore the key nutrient in the methylation cycle*.
*Blog: Why not only SAM-e?
SAMe helps maintain stable mood and joint function without side effects. In addition, SAMe has multiple mechanisms of action that are used throughout the body, especially in the liver, which help maintain liver health. Largely known for its effects on optimal mood, SAMe has also shown benefits for the liver, brain, and joints.
Benefits at a glance:
- Helps maintain stable mood
- Helps maintain liver health
- Helps maintain healthy joint function
Life Extension® first introduced SAMe (S-Adenosyl-Methionine) in 1997, and researchers continue to discover impressive benefits of this versatile nutrient.
SAMe is an amino acid derivative normally synthesized in the body that may become depleted with sickness or age. Supplementing with SAMe plus folate, trimethylglycine (TMG or betaine), vitamins B6 and B12 appears to be an effective way to overcome this deficiency.
SAMe is concentrated in the liver and brain and is a major methyl donor in the synthesis of hormones, nucleic acids, proteins, and phospholipids, and catecholamines and other neurotransmitters. SAMe is required for the synthesis of norepinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin.1-3 SAMe facilitates glutathione(4,5) usage, which improves the body's antioxidant defense. It also helps maintain acetylcholine levels(6,7) which are necessary for cognitive function.
SAMe is used by the body in three important pathways:
- Methylation (contributing methyl groups to activate certain molecules)8,9
- The synthesis of polyamines (for cell growth, gene expression, neuronal regeneration, etc.)(10-13)
- Trans-sulfuration (synthesis of cysteine, glutathione, and other sulfate chemicals)(1,14,15)
In 2002, an agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services conducted a meticulous evaluation of SAMe. Its findings show the efficacy of SAMe in helping to maintain stable mood and joint function without any side effects.(16) Since aging people often suffer joint discomfort and immobilization(17,18), SAMe addresses multiple problems people face as they grow older.(7,10,19-21)
SAMe has multimodal mechanisms of action that are used throughout the body and especially in the liver.(21-24) In order to perform its detoxification role, the liver continually performs large numbers of complex enzymatic reactions.(25) SAMe facilitates healthy methylation enzymatic processes and boosts hepatic levels of glutathione, a critical antioxidant.(24,26,27) When liver function is compromised, glutathione is depleted, which leads to free radical damage. In addition, SAMe acts as a methyl donor in the synthesis and formation of phosphatidylcholine and L-cysteine, both necessary for maintaining liver health.(9,28)
A recent study conducted at Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital cited the benefits of SAMe for mood elevation.(29) In addition, a report published in Germany indicates that SAMe may help maintain healthy neurological function. The report revealed that:
- SAMe increased glutathionelevels by 50% and glutathione enzyme activity by 115%.(30)
- SAMe decreased a measurement of free radical activity by 46%.(30)
- SAMe inhibited lipid peroxidation by 55% in culture.(30)
SAMe's ability to boost brain cell methylation facilitates youthful DNA enzymatic actions which may help account for SAMe’s mood-elevating properties. These enzymatic reactions are required for the healthy conversion of neurotransmitters such as serotonin and dopamine.
Caution: SAMe should not be taken by those diagnosed with bipolar disorder, especially overmethylated (undermethylated bipolars might take SAMe when depressed, but watch out for signs of mania and then stop if mania is approaching).
Serving Size 1 enteric coated tablet
Amount Per Serving
Other ingredients: cellulose, mannitol, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose phthalate, citric acid, stearic acid, silica, glyceryl triacetate, sodium starch glycolate, croscarmellose sodium, titanium dioxide, yellow ochre.
Dosage and Use
- Take one (1) tablet one to three times daily in divided doses, preferably on an empty stomach, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
- Take with co-factors vitamins B12, B6, and folic acid.
SAMe should not be taken by those diagnosed with bipolar disorder.
- KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
- DO NOT EXCEED RECOMMENDED DOSE
- Do not purchase if outer seal is broken or damaged.
- When using nutritional supplements, please consult with your physician if you are undergoing treatment for a medical condition or if you are pregnant or lactating.
To report a serious adverse event or obtain product information, contact 1-866-280-2852.
- 1 Am J Clin Nutr. 2002 Nov;76(5):1151S-7S.
- Psychiatr Pol. 2011 Nov-Dec;45(6):923-31.
- Mol Cell Proteomics. 2012 Nov;11(11):1274-88.
- Clin Chem Lab Med. 2013 Mar 1;51(3):457-65.
- Toxicol Lett. 2012 Aug 3;212(3):320-8.
- Phys Biol. 2008 Dec 19;5(4):044002. doi: 10.1088/1478-3975/5/4/044002.
- J Nutr Health Aging. 2008 Apr;12(4):252-61.
- Science. 2011 Apr 29;332(6029):604-7.
- Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2001 Sep;70(1):105-14.
- Neuroreport. 2001 Dec 21;12(18):3939-42.
- Drugs. 1994 Aug;48(2):137-52.
- J Cell Sci. 2014 Jan 1;127(Pt 1):50-9.
- Clin Rev Allergy Immunol. 2012 Feb;42(1):58-70.
- Toxicol Sci. 2010 May;115(1):131-9.
- World J Gastroenterol. 2010 Mar 21;16(11):1366-76.
- Evidence Report/Technology Assessment: Number 64 S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine for Treatment of Depression, Osteoarthritis, and Liver Disease http://archive.ahrq.gov/clinic/epcsums/samesum.htm accessed on June 30, 2015
- Br J Rheumatol. 1997 Jan;36(1):27-31
- Am Fam Physician. 2011 Jun 1;83(11):1287-92.
- Proc Nutr Soc. 2012 Feb;71(1):75-83.
- J Nutr Health Aging. 2010 Mar;14(3):224-30.
- Physiol Rev. 2012 Oct;92(4):1515-42.
- Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2007 Jul;293(1):G91-103.
- Rocz Akad Med Bialymst. 2005;50:7-20.
- World J Gastroenterol. 2006 Mar 28;12(12):1895-904.
- J Inherit Metab Dis. 1991;14(4):421-30.
- FASEB J. 1996 Mar;10(4):471-80.
- Alcohol. 2002 Jul;27(3):179-83.
- Minerva Gastroenterol Dietol. 1992 Jul-Sep;38(3):145-51.
- Am J Psychiatry. 2010 Aug;167(8):942-8.
- Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 2000 Jan; 361 (1): 47-52.
Share this Product
Questions & AnswersAsk a Question
Is it safe to use SAMe for extended periods ... a year ... six months .. more?
SAMe is produced naturally in the body, so it is not toxic. Some produce more than normal amounts (overmethylated) and some produce less than normal (undermethylated). Overmethylators should not take SAMe (they will soon notice it is more than enough anyway). Undermethylators will feel better when taking SAMe (up to a certain amount which is individual and can change a little from time to time). The only thing that can be harmful in the long run is too high Homocysteine levels, since SAMe is converted into Homocysteine. Homocysteine is converted back to SAMe (and to Cysteine using B6). Read more here: https://www.vitacure.me/blogs/news/why-not-only-sam-e
Undermethylators are usually low on "everything", so taking TMG, B12, B6, B2, Zinc, Magnesium, Calcium etc. is crucial. If you also take the cofactors (like the ones in VITAcure Methyl Plus) you should be safer. However, if you want to be 100% sure you should test your Homocysteine level. Usually undermethylators (who benefit from SAMe) do have low Homocysteine levels, so this tends not to be a problem. It is overmethylators who produce too much SAMe who usually end up with high Homocysteine. If your Homocysteine level is not too high it is safe to take for as many years as you like (it also has many other healthy benefits).
How is the pills packaged are they packaged separate or just all in a bottle?
Important for SAMe: Each SAMe tablet is packaged separate in blister pack and enteric coated to protect it from light and moisture (SAMe is unstable and needs extra protection).